CORPORATE AND COMMERCIAL LITIGATION
We act in a wide variety of business disputes. Our clients include real estate developers, construction companies, public and private corporations and family enterprises, and their shareholders and directors. We have experience negotiating settlements where possible and litigating disputes if necessary. We represent clients involved in:
- Company and ownership disputes: These may include shareholder disputes, oppression claims, partnership disputes, allegations of fraud or misappropriation, breach of securities laws and corporate governance matters;
- Commercial disputes: These may include the breach of a commercial contract, debt collection, employee claims (such as wrongful dismissal), claims of negligence or misrepresentation resulting in business losses, or breaches of a franchise agreement;
- Real estate disputes: These may include claims for specific performance by the buyer or seller, claims of misrepresentation, other breaches of a contract of purchase, commercial leasing disputes or claims of compensation for government expropriation.
Our civil litigation practice involves all manner of legal disputes involving individual financial loss or injury. We bring a breadth of trial experience to a wide variety of civil litigation matters. We represent clients involved in:
- Estate Litigation: This may involve claims under the Wills Variation Act, undue influence claims, or claims concerning estate administration;
- Serious personal injury;
- Employment and wrongful dismissal claims;
- Professional negligence;
- Other civil torts such as defamation, misrepresentation, unjust enrichment, negligence, conversion, trespass, assault and fraud.
ADMINISTRATIVE TRIBUNALS AND REGULATORY BODIES
Some disputes may be resolved quickly and efficiently before tribunals and regulatory bodies. We represent both individual and corporate clients before a wide variety of administrative tribunals and governmental or regulatory bodies. When an unreasonable or unfair decision is made by an administrative tribunal or board, we have experience challenging those decisions in court by way of judicial review.
ALTERNATIVE DISPUTE RESOLUTION
Alternative dispute resolution (ADR) processes, such as mediation and arbitration, can have benefits such as avoiding publicity and minimizing the risks, costs and delays inherent in litigation. Each case is different, and in some cases, litigation is either inevitable or required. Where ADR is a viable alternative to traditional litigation, we have experience advising clients on, as well as conducting, mediations and arbitrations.